Over 150 years of fellowship and worship.
In 1858 when Greenwood was a village of about 300 hundred souls, tradition has that Reverend William Lawson and seven women organized Greenwood Methodist Church. They first worshipped in “the chapel,” a building popular for town meetings located in the area where National Health Care center is now located. In fact, many of the early residents and members of the first church are buried in the cemetery next to NHC.
No accurate records exist of the actual membership until 1889. For an in-depth understanding of early Methodist practices and the religious life of the settlement that later became Greenwood, South Carolina, readers should consult the History of Main Street United Methodist Church by Harry R. Mays.
On Sunday, March 11. 1906, the congregation worshipping in the building on the corner of North Main Street, the current location, voted to name the church Main Street Methodist Church.
In 2008, Main Street United Methodist church celebrated 150 years of joyous service. Just as the congregation has grown in membership, so have the facilities and the missions. Members of this historic church continue to serve Christ from its modern facility located in the center of this thriving city.